Friday, November 1, 2013

Walking the Talk

Well, it finally happened. The Red Sox season is officially over, and I couldn’t be happier about it. Looks like I'll have to make some space on the trophy shelf!



On this small shelf among our modest DVD collection (a collection that feels sillier and sillier to maintain with each passing year) sits a embarrassment of riches. Among these discs (and, yes, two VHS tapes!) is footage and/or retrospective from people who were there on every single championship that my favorite teams have won over the years. I love being able to go back to them to relive/relearn the memories.

I never thought it was worth buying hats or t shirts that commemorate victories. It just seemed so short sighted to me. After all, within about a year some other fans will have something better to brag about. So why bother? But the highlight videos are different. They sit on the shelf like any other grand memory of your life. But even better than photos or paintings, you throw them in and turn on the TV and get transported back to the magic. The night when your hopes came to fruition. When the others were conquered. When your team celebrated right along with you.

Of course, now is when the Off-Season really begins. I've already had a day or so to adjust, and this far I'm enjoying it. It's hard to avoid reading sports talk, especially looking at Boston.com, what with the parade and all. Still, I'm managing to not do much more than glance at headlines.

Here are the steps I have taken so far:
1. Removed espn.com and other sports related links from my bookmarks
2. Removed all sports related figures and teams from my Facebook and Twitter feeds
3. Removed all sports related apps from my phone/iPad/AppleTV etc.
4. Removed sports radio stations from car presets, iTunes, and Tunein app favorites

Secondarily, I've settled on Circa as my primary news app. It doesn't offer a sports section, and I like how digestible their format seems to be. There may come a time when I move away from that, but I like it for now.

Oh, one more thing. I also bookmarked a bunch of YouTube video that purport to teach one how to juggle in 5 minutes.

We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment