Friday, July 11, 2014

Every Four Years

I'm not sure just when they will be playing, but sometime in the next week two big things will be decided. The final match of the month long World Cup tournament will crown a champion, but more importantly, it may be telling me where my next big vacation will be.

Just about eight years ago, my wife and I wandered the streets of Boston's North End looking for a good view. It was hard to navigate, because everywhere you looked there were people. This is true just about any weekend you'd care to visit, but it was different that day. The steamy summer afternoon saw people not just cramming the sidewalks of Hanover Street, but lining up 12 or 13 people deep into the road. Driving through was simply not an option due to the sea of humanity, many of whom sported the deep, royal blue colors of Italy's national football club. It was the final of the World Cup in 2006 and Italy was battling France for the title.

Boston does not have the biggest Little Italy in the US, but many folks think it is among the most authentic. As someone who has spent a small amount of time in Rome and elsewhere in Italy, and a ton of time in the North End, I would not argue the point. I'm sure the scene in Boston was repeated in many US cities, to say nothing of the streets in Italy herself, but this was where we were, and this certainly felt special. 

The match was a tense one, and every slight advantage the Italians could muster sent ripples of energy and excitement through the crowds. Restaurants along the street had obliged us by setting up televisions with the best angle for the throngs of people trying to see the action. Just a few blocks away, the Mayor had set up a gigantic television to broadcast the game for the public in Government Center (itself a soulless, if noble attempt to recreate central Italian piazzas from walled cities like Siena or Florence). Maybe the French fans were congregated there, but those of us pulling for Italy knew where to be.

Italy would triumph, of course, and four years later, as the World Cup opened again in South Africa, my wife and I found ourselves in Italy. We saw little soccer, but it was one of the great trips of our lives. Anytime you would like to come over and view the 1147 photos we took, we'd be happy to show them. Sadly, Italy was eliminated quickly from their attempt to defend their title, and a new champion was crowned. That year, for the first time, Spain won the Cup.

Obviously, I have not seen much of this years' event thanks to this project. We were home as the tournament opened, but we have just returned from a trip abroad. We spent 10 days in the beautiful country of Spain. I'm afraid we may be a bit of a curse as Spain were eliminated in much the same manner as Italy four years before. Another similarity is that our trip was spectacular. Note the new icon for this project (and thanks for the suggestion, Peter).

As I understand it, our next big trip seems as if it will be to Argentina or Germany. Hard to say for sure which one I am pulling more for. I've had some great times in Germany, but South America is a place to which I've never been. Might be fun!

One more thing about the final that I couldn't help but notice was this great story. I love the quote about Popes being "above this sort of thing." What does that say about me?

Oh, and by the way, we broke our own record with just over 1300 pictures taken in Spain. Bring a bottle of something nice, will ya?

No comments:

Post a Comment