Thursday, December 19, 2013

I Miss The Celtics

Of the four teams that represent my town, three are legitimate title contenders at the moment. The Patriots will have Bill Belichick, Tom Brady and a home playoff game, the Bruins lost a great Stanley Cup series last year, and the Red Sox will open the season as defending Champs. Only the Celtics are a team in transition, not expected to do anything. At least this was the case when The Off-Season began back in October.

It would stand to reason, then, that I would most miss watching the contenders try to win it all. It would make sense if the hardest part of this "sports refusiasm", as I am calling it, was missing the better teams play their respective sports at the highest level, bringing honor to my town, and glory to me in some small, stupid way. But that has not been the case. I miss the Celtics. 

I miss the questions about who can take over, and what the personality of the next championship team will be. I miss hearing about the rookie that starts to play lock down defense, or the new center that starts gobbling up offensive rebounds. You start hearing about those things, and slowly the picture starts to come together. A trade here, and a free agent there, and the answers start outnumbering the questions. You start to be able to play against anyone on to good night. Eventually, a leader emerges, and the team starts to gel. Now you are running people out of the gym on occasion, and beating all the teams you are supposed to. Before long, you look around and start to say, "Our guys can play with anyone." No one can beat you at home anymore. From there, all it takes is a few lucky bounces and you are champs again.

Or maybe it's basketball that I really miss. It's always been my favorite sport to watch. I love the way a good team can work the opposition out of what they want to do. They use set, prescribed formations and rhythm to try and break down the other guys. Whenever and wherever the breakdown occurs, that's where you attack. Everybody has to be ready at all times to pounce when the opportunity comes. That's best exemplified by the fast break, like the Showtime Lakers, or the great Celtic teams used to run. The ball would never even touch the floor. That's Jazz. That's Improv Comedy. That's any great connection between artists. 

And it's fun to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment