Saturday, October 19, 2013

The Final Countdown

With any luck, at some point this weekend the Red Sox will advance to play in the World Series. They have two chances to win one game in the friendly confines of Fenway Park, where they have played particularly well this season. Things are looking good for one more week of sports watching before the Off-Season kicks in.

During this out of nowhere playoff run I have taken to Facebook after each win to post a number. The idea is that it takes 11 wins to win a championship (3 in the Division Series, 4 in the League Series, and 4 in the World Series), and I wanted to count them as they go by. Many of my friends have been correcting me, thinking that I am counting down the wins and my math is off. People are certainly free to count however they want, but I'm here to tell you that I think counting down to a championship is the wrong way to do it.

In January of 2008, the New England Patriots came within 2:39 of finishing a perfect 19-0 in the NFL. On the way to that fateful Super Bowl, they mostly slaughtered opponents, setting records what seemed like every week. When asked about late touchdowns the team had scored in some blowout games, coach Belichick would sneer, "What did you want us to do, kick a field goal?". It was unlike anything that had been seen before. It was a blast.

That's the team that taught me to count up, and not down. See, they never quite finished the job, but I can't look at that season and focus on just the last 2:39. I would rather they had won the game, but I feel lucky to have been taken on that ride in the first place. You say the Broncos are going to have a better year this year? Call me with 2:38 left in the Super Bowl, and we'll see.

As a fan, much as the beer companies would have us believe it, we can't actually control any thing that happens on the field. What we can and should do is enjoy the ride. With just a few (maybe only 2!) games left for me before I can't watch anything, that's never been more important to me. So that's why I am counting up. And that's why you should too.

No comments:

Post a Comment